Sheen Instruments is a leading manufacturer and supplier of quality inspection and testing instruments used in the paint, coating, automotive and other industries.
From Oct 2017, Sheen Instruments and TQC BV have merged. The new label will be known as TQCSHEEN.
Sheen Instruments has an history of over 70 years being manufacturers of laboratory equipment for the paint industry. TQC is a manufacturer of paint test equipment renowned for their innovative approach and ground breaking developments.
The new label represents a range of paint test equipment varying from a vast range of viscosity meters, automatic film applicators, scrub and scratch testers to gloss & colour meters, thickness gauges, drying time testers, etc.
TQCSHEEN is headquartered in The Netherlands where the company’s production, logistics, application lab and R&D centre are housed near the city of Rotterdam. The TQC Sheen group has sales offices in Germany, the U.K., Norway, U.S., Italy, Singapore and South Korea.
- The hiding and spreading powers of pigmented coatings are of fundamental importance and there are many methods by which the opacity of a coating may be examined. These methods do not relate necessarily to painting practice as the change of appearance wanted, the contour and surface characteristics of the substrate together with the rheological properties of the paint will influence the performance of such coatings
- The test method specifies suitable cutting tools with either single or multiple cutting
edges. The cross hatch cutter in the form presented in the photograph, with either 1, 1.5, 2 or 3mm spaces between the cutting edges, has advantages over the single cutting blade for both safety and simplicity in use.
- The instrument consists of a base plate, panel holder with clamp, a series of mandrels and the handle/bending mechanism. The base should be secured to a suitable work surface, allowing the operator to turn the handle smoothly during a test. The diameter of the mandrel to be used depends upon the test specifications
- The Digital Krebs Viscometer is used for measuring the viscosity of Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids. The viscosity of a non- Newtonian material varies depending on the rate of shear, but the Krebs viscometer measures the viscosity at a set speed shear rate which provides a consistent standard. The dimensions of the paddle conform to the precise specification of ASTM D562.
- The Rotothinner is a robustly constructed instrument, which is easy to use, clean and maintain. Three models are available: a disc shaped rotor (Ref 455N/15) allows for the addition of thinners so that test samples can be adjusted to their correct viscosity and for the rapid adjustment of production batches; two ball shaped rotors (Ref 455N/65 & 455N/340) may be used for more viscous samples and for the addition of thinners more slowly.
- The test consists of placing a small volume of product on the deep end and drawing it with a straight scraper toward the shallow end. The position on the scale where oversize particles and their tracks appear can be rated for determination of dispersion.
- This pocket sized glossmeter is designed to meet all the requirements of a field and laboratory instrument but at a very cost effective price.
- It is easy to use with a one button operation and digitally adjusted calibration. Any member of staff can take meaningful gloss measurements with little or no training.
- The pencil test uses constant pressure and variable hardness of the test tool as its fundamental principal. Pencils of varying hardness, starting with the hardest lead, are moved over the surface under a fixed pressure of 7.5 Newtons (765 gms) and at a fixed angle of 45 degrees to the surface. The degree of hardness of the pencil which damages the surface is taken as a measurement for scratch hardness.
- The new Sheen Glossmaster range of glossmeters have been designed with the user in
mind. Now offering greater versatility and ease of use, these instruments have far superior data handling capabilities than ever before. With three angles in one robust, lightweight, portable package the Glossmaster range will easily tackle most gloss measurement applications.
- The Micromatch™ Plus combines the accuracy, power and capabilities of a spectrophotometer with quick and simple operation. This hand held, lightweight (500 grams including 4 x AA batteries) instrument may be used for quality control of paints and plastics on the production line, in the Q.C. department or at customer site meetings by technical support staff.
- The instrument measures the diffusely reflected light from the test surface. The controlled conditions of illumination and angle of illumination allow surfaces to be characterised according to their lightness or darkness. A completely black surface will read a (zero), whilst a perfect white will be 100 units, recognised in colour measurement scale as the ‘Y’ value.
- The principle of measurement is simple, but reliable, based on the wellestablished method of measuring the resistance of a spindle rotating in the sample under test. The resultant torque measurement, rotational speed and spindle properties are then combined to automatically calculate the resultant viscosity value.
- To determine the impact resistance, surface damage and penetration by a falling weight.
- Most protective coatings and constructional materials must be tested;
- Paints Plating Plastics
- Varnishes Plastic coatings Resins/composites
- Coil coatings Laminations Sheet materials and metals