Tubular Impact Tester
Model: 806 – 807
Brand: Sheen Instruments – UK
REF. 806 TUBULAR IMPACT TESTER – BS 6496, ASTM D 2794
REF. 807 TUBULAR IMPACT TESTER – ISO 6272, DIN 55669, BS 3900 E13
- Many surface coatings are subject to the risk of damage by impact. Impact testers allow
reproducible conditions of impact to be defined. The 807 allows pass/fail limits to be
established and a classification of the coating to be achieved.
- To determine the impact resistance, surface damage and penetration by a falling weight.
- Most protective coatings and constructional materials must be tested;
- Paints Plating Plastics
- Varnishes Plastic coatings Resins/composites
- Coil coatings Laminations Sheet materials and metals
- These instruments consist of a graduated vertical tube mounted into a solid base. This tube acts as a guide for an impacting weight of pre-determined mass. The height from which this falls is variable. By using the locking collar exactly the same force of impact can be produced for each test. Depending upon the National Standard, the weight may first hit an indenter tool which rests on the test panel, (806) or the weight and indenter are combined and strike the panel directly (807).
METHOD OF USE
- The test panel is placed on the die, and in the 806 is clipped into place with the indenter tool resting on the panel. With the 807 the panel is held firmly by a clamping sleeve. The weight is raised to a set height and released. The height is increased by 2.5cm (1 in.) intervals until coating failure is seen. The impact testers can be used as a pass/fail test by calculation of the impact energy (height x mass), and for the classification of the test sample.
- For detailed procedures please refer to the relevant national standard.
- NEW ISO 6272 SPECIFICATION: IS0 6272 has superseded BS 3900 : E3. The British Standard equivalent has become BS3900 : E13.
The major changes are:
- indenter and die diameters have been revised,
- in the weight has been changed,
- in the clamping method improved,
- in the maximum impact height increased,
- in new adjustable indentation depth.
THREE STANDARD MODELS
- Ref.806/25 BS 6496, ASTM D 2794
Falling weight 21bs (8.9N}
Indenter diam. 0.625in (15.9mm}
Die diam. 0.640in (16.3mm}
Tube height 25in (63.6cm}
- Ref. 806/40 ASTM D2794
Falling weight 4lbs (17.8N}
Indenter diam. 0.625in (15.9mm} Die
diam. 0.640in (16.3mm}
Tube height 40in (101.7cm}
Other indenter tools may be specified at the time of order. Please refer to options over page
- Ref. 807
ISO6272, B5 3900: E13, DIN 55669.
DIN 55669 does not require the use of the sample clamp or depth adjuster.
Falling weight 1 kg (10n)
Indenter diam. 20mm
Die diam. 27mm
Tube height 1.0m Sample clamp
Adjustable indentation depth 0-10mm 11mm intervals
In the interests of safety, a protective sleeve has been incorporated in the new design.
Additional indenter weights may be specified at the time of order; 500gm., 1 kg., 1lb.
- REF. 806/25 25in tubular tester to BS 6496, ASTM D2794
- REF. 806/40 40in tubular tester to ASTM D2794
- REF. 807 1m tubular tester to ISO 6272, BS 3900: E13, DIN 55669