Cross Hatch Cutter
Model: 750/1 – 750/2 – 750/3 – 750/4
Brand: Sheen Instruments – UK
- The “Cross Hatch” test has been used widely in various forms in order to assess the adhesion of paint coatings. Its technical merit has been recognised by International Standards authorities as a method of test for this property of attached coatings, which also depends on other factors e.g. flexibility of coating, the presence of interference layers between coating and substrate etc.
- The test method specifies suitable cutting tools with either single or multiple cutting
edges. The cross hatch cutter in the form presented in the photograph, with either 1, 1.5, 2 or 3mm spaces between the cutting edges, has advantages over the single cutting blade for both safety and simplicity in use.
- The cutting tool consists of a hardened steel cylinder ground to a high standard of precision so that six or eleven cutting edges are formed between outer guide edges. A lightweight, comfortable handle is fitted to provide a firm hold. Four segments of the circumference are in part removed and a hold pin is fitted so that the tool can be assembled in eight ways with the use of a retaining thumb screw. The design enables
the operator to use a substantial part of the total cutting edges.
- Conforms with: BS EN ISO 2409 : 1995 / BS 3900 E6 / ASTM D3359
METHOD OF USE
- Reference should be made to the relevant National Standard for the detailed test method. The tool should be held with forefinger along the handle, fingertip over and above the cutting edge. The cutter is then carefully and firmly drawn under pressure over the section of coating to be tested to form, by two cross cuts, a square or diamond shaped lattice. The sample area is either given a stiff brushing or (alternatively) adhesive tape is applied, After this the pattern inscribed is examined in order to define the classification of test results.
RECOMMENDATION OF USE
- Ref 750/1 1mm Spacing Cross Hatch Cutter 6 cutting edges
- Ref 750/2 1mm Spacing Cross Hatch Cutter 11 cutting edges
- Ref 750/3 1.5mm Spacing Cross Hatch Cutter 6 cutting edges
- Ref 750/4 2mm Spacing Cross Hatch Cutter 6 cutting edges
- Ref 750/5 3mm Spacing Cross Hatch Cutter 6 cutting edges