MCT460-WP Wood Products Moisture Transmitter
A Robust, Flexible & Accurate Transmitter
MCT460-WP Designed and configured specifically for the wood products industry, the MCT460-WP is easy to install, and may be used at any stage of processing with all types of wood products applications.
- New micro controller, high performance, dual core architecture. One core dedicated to NIR signal acquisition, the other programmed to manage computations and communications
- Samples entire NIR signal train for increased measurement accuracy
- Proprietary Filter combination and algorithm for wood products
- Embedded bootloader allows sensor firmware to be upgraded through USB or serial interface
- Ergonomically sound IP67 cast aluminum enclosure
- Temperature controlled PbS detector for enhanced stability
- Built in cooling panel and Air Purge Assembly
How does the MCT460-WP Measure Moisture ?
- Water molecules contain O-H bonds which absorb light energy in a specific region of the NIR spectrum. The more water that is present, the greater the energy that is absorbed.
- The MCT460-WP houses a quartz halogen lamp which channels energy through a rotating wheel containing NIR filters, one positioned at a wavelength where water absorbs and others positioned at reference wavelengths where there’s no absorption by water.
- Pulses of light illuminate the product and the diffused reflected light is collected by a concave mirror and focused onto a single temperature controlled detector. Detector signals are processed to give a read-out proportional to the concentration of water. Resin measurements are based upon the O-H and C-H bonds.
Simple & Reliable
- The MCT460-WP remains a total hands-off gauge. Upon installation, simply adjust the zero and put the gauge to work! There is no routine maintenance or re-calibration. Calibration check standards are available for confirmation of long term gauge stability.
Typical applications include:
• Oriented Strand Board
• Particle Board
• Wood Based Panelboard
• Wood Pellets
• Hog Fuels
Stable & Accurate
Designed and configured specifically for the wood products industry, the MCT460-WP is easy to install, and may be used at any stage of processing with all types of wood products applications.
Near Infrared (NIR) Operating Principle
- Several molecular bonds absorb near infrared light at well defined wavelengths. The common bonds are O-H in water, C-H in organics & oils and N-H in proteins. The absorbance level at these specific wavelengths is proportional to the quantity of that constituent in the material.
- Narrow band pass filters within the Transmitter create a sequence of light pulses. At least one of these pulses is at the absorbance wavelength specific to the constituent to be measured. The other pulses are created at wavelengths not absorbed by the measured constituent. The pulses illuminate the product and the diffuse reflected light is collected and focused onto a single, temperature controlled detector.
- The electrical signals generated by the detector are then processed to provide a value that is proportional to the concentration of the measured constituent. The value is then displayed in % or other engineering units.
For full detailed specifications, please download PDF.